Pages

Saturday, May 13, 2017

The Day's Resolutions


I like the quote in the blog title photo: "I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's". The day's resolutions..what do I resolve to do today? Or who do I strive to be? Do I resolve to look for the good in the day..even just one thing...or am I dead set on being discontent? Something to think about, for sure. Here is this week's "Record of Graces" via daily photo themes and photos (May 7-13)

Sunday: Collapse

This girl right here collapses and hides every time I turn the hose on to water the roses out back. Do you see her around the corner? She watches with wary eyes to see if I'm going to get her wet (which she despises). 


Monday: Vertical

Yellow heirloom cherry tomatoes growing up in my container garden. I love watching things grow! "A bit of earth. She wants a bit of earth. She'll plant some seeds, the seeds will grow.."-from The Secret Garden


Tuesday: Trinket

Jonathan is the King of Trinkets. He reminds me of one of the songs on The Little Mermaid, "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?"...And collections he has..books, shells, leaves, bottles, chests, letter openers, and more! One of his favorite collection of 'trinkets' is old fashioned keys. Last year, we made a nice display of them for his bedroom wall. He's always on the hunt for next interesting-looking key


Thursday: Counter

It was a long day today with waiting over 2 hours to see Dad's orthopedic doctor concerning his left shoulder. The CT scan showed a tear that needs to be surgically repaired. May 19th is the date of the surgery. We then had church (nearly an hour drive there and back), and we just knew ahead of time that we were going to be going out to eat. We went to one of our favorite places, El Taco Tote, where there is a counter full of 'fixins' - salsa, guacamole, limes, pico de gallo, sauces...to go on your tortilla chips and tacos. 



Friday: Longevity 

My dad always says to invest in a cause that will out-live you. Last night at church, 11 year old Victoria gave me these: a corsage to wear on Sunday, a paper that opened up in hearts, and a sweet Mother's Day note thanking me for being her friend. She seeks me out to sing specials with her in church and always arranges it so she can sit next to me during our ladies' meetings. And I look for new songs we can learn together and am sure to save her a seat if I sit down first. Kids respond in magnificent ways when shown love and kindness. And you never know just how far a hug, a smile, an invitation to be your friend will carry someone. 


Saturday: Missing

Missing my mother who died too young. I love hearing stories of her through those who knew and loved her. In the last year, I've gone through the box of stuff I had held on to for years. 4-H notebooks, scrapbooks, old school classmates' photos. In the process of minimizing stuff over the last few years, I've realized that stuff is just stuff and that connection is through people. And while I have no memories of my own of my mother, I can keep connected to those who knew and loved her. I got rid of that box last year and most of its contents and am able to cherish who she was to so many and the love she gave me while here. The box of stuff was full of her memories, not mine, and acknowledging that made it easier to let go. Memories of her live out through family who are all eager to share her with me and who I don't get to see enough of. These shared memories have helped fill a void where missing pieces were because she was not there. I am forever grateful for the stories and memories shared every time I visit. 
(Aren't my mom and dad so cute?? I love this photo!)




_________________________________________________

Most interesting photo of the week to me wasn't even for the photo challenge. Thursday night after church, we stopped to see one of our members who hasn't been feeling well lately. I love these shots of the roses through the gate. 











No comments:

Post a Comment